Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 4: The Buddy System

Pastor Johnson has agreed to let us go venturing, so long as we use the "buddy system." He said children that went to school in the Old Times frequently used this system at a young age to prevent wandering, time wasting, or getting lost on the way to places like the school restroom. It sounded helpful to him so he was enforcing it upon us. Pastor Johnson laid claim on Miss Angie while everyone else paired up. I looked around to find myself completely alone, our group ended up uneven.
    "Here..." Pastor Johnson moved forward.
    "No." Marco stepped up, waving Pastor back to Miss Angie. "She can be with us. A young girl like her shouldn't be left unattended, nor should a beautiful older woman like Miss Angie!" He charmed. Miss Angie blushed, gripping the curve of her walking stick harder to lean up and kiss Marco's cheek.
    "You're a sweet boy, Marco. You look after that little girl!" The smile she gave Marco was so sincere it made my heart break.
    "Oh, I intend to." He replied, only loud enough for me to hear as I passed by.

Together, guns facing forward but pointed towards the ground, we walked the streets of the Old World. Marco remained quiet and, despite the pounding of my own heart, the rest of the world did also. I was nervous, panicked, every little movement stopping me in my place.
    "Oh my God!" I screamed, seeing a small black figure out of the corner of my eye. Without thinking I cocked my gun and fired in the direction of the thing. BOOM! The gun went off, blood splattered every where, and the world was silent again. Marco mumbled something and laughed. It was only until the ringing in my ears stopped that I noticed what I killed.
    "It was a bunny." Marco laughed again.
    "I know what it was, you idiot!" I cried, covering my face as warm tears streaked down my cheeks. Once Marco saw me crying, he straightened up and moved towards me. "No...just...stay there." I leaned over the side of a rusty, parked car and cried so hard I threw up. Marco stepped to me again. "No...just back the fuck off, Marco. Seriously." I continued to cry alone; I could hear his steps fading as he left me. When I finally regained my composure, I wiped my mouth and continued my explorations.

So much for the buddy system.
-Jemma


No comments:

Post a Comment